A bucket list is best described as a list of all the things you want to do, places to see, experience or accomplish before you expire from this earth.
It gets its name from a deviation of the term “kick the bucket” and can also be called a “life to-do list”.
There is also a hollywood film called – wait for it - “The Bucket List”! which stars Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman. In the film they leap from planes, drive race cars, eat caviar, motorcycle on the Great Wall of China, and trot by other wonders of the world before they "kick the bucket."
Now, while I have no intention of jumping out of planes, I do have some other ambitions/challenges which for me, form my own personal “do before I reach 101 years of age” list! Some of my list has already been achieved, so I’ll only include the ones which I haven’t yet completed.
In no particular order:
1. Travel to South America
2. Learn enough Italian to be able to hold a conversation and get by
3. Climb to Everest base camp
4. Travel on the trans-Siberian express train
5. Learn how to swim properly
6. Visit Asia (will do this year)
7. Bench press 150kg for 6 reps (currently on 110kg)
8. Win a 6 figure score in an online poker tournament (still only in the 4 figures)
9. Eat the bugs/insects found in street stalls in Asia
10. Write a book
11. Visit Machu Picchu
12. Visit Christ the Redeemer (the statue of Jesus Christ in Rio, Brazil)
13. Visit the Amazon rainforest
14. Visit the outback in Australia
15. Complete a 24 hour Sleep out for homeless charity
16. Train in the gym for 60 consecutive days (best so far is 26 days)
17. Visit the Great wall of China
18. Attend an Oktoberfest, Munich, Germany
19. Visit all 7 continents
20. Travel to at least 50 different countries (currently on 19)
21. Invent something
22. Make a documentary short film
23. Live in Las Vegas for 3 months and survive by playing poker
24. Have a class re-union with my degree year mates from Sligo
25. Increase my patience and lower my tilt factor with online poker
26. Visit Dallas
27. Run a marathon
28. Leg press 500kg for 5 reps (personal best is 450kg for 5 reps)
29. Meet Maradona
30. Attend a full moon party
I plan to be able to tick off 4 or 5 items from that list by the end of 2011. I’ll also add to the list along the way.